Friday, April 24, 2009

MALTESE MADNESS!!




So, just when I thought they were all getting better from this Giardia attack, it starts to hit J-Mittens the hardest. We needed to take him and Roxy in to the pet ER to get checked out and make sure they were okay. They gave them fluids, which is what they needed. The ER couldn't tell me much but I spent $280 there. If you're unsure of whether or not you should get your dogs checked out for whatever reason, get them checked out. It's always worth it to find out that your dog is either healthy or that your dog is a bit sickly and needs treatment, therefore you can start on the treatment right away.


When we got home, J-Mittens got even worst. He had the runs really bad. It had a very bad odor, mucus, and blood. My mom took him to the doctor the following day. He was tested for Parvo, which he very fortunately did not have (THANK GOD), he had some blood drawn to check for anything else that may have been circulating throughout his body.


He was given more fluids because his doctor said he was very dehydrated. Apparently, we could also give him pepto-bismol to help rid the stomach upset and it seems to have helped over the course of a few days. According to his blood work, his blood sugar levels were very low as well as his sodium and chloride. He wouldn't eat or drink so I had to feed him baby food through a little syringe and I also gave him water and red Gatorade with it as well. We needed to get his blood sugars back up to par so she said anything with sugar that he likes and will eat he can have. I had to do this same thing with Little Foot and Roxy as they would not eat and were still having a few symptoms.


Yesterday, I had to take Little Foot in to get some fluids. When dogs are sick like this, they tend to lose a lot of weight due to the waste that they're letting out. It's important that they get all the nutrients that they need in order to stay healthy and allow their immune systems to work effectively.


It's really hard for me to see my dogs so ill. I don't think I'll ever be taking them outside again. At least not for a while. Not only is it expensive, but it's very hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment